Go To Home Page About Retro Gran Topics I Write About Other Places You Can Find Me Image Map

Monday, August 20, 2012

Adventures in Hair Extensions

I have been very busy lately with family issues plus I am feeling run down and under the weather today, so forgive me for being late with my posts.  Even so, I did want to let you dolls in on my new adventure.  I placed an order a few weeks ago for hair extensions with Glam Time.   I love having shorter hair as it lends itself nicely for those styles of the 50s and the 20s and 30s.  I can get some 40s and 60s styles in there too but I was wanting to be able to do some of the longer styles of those eras.  Think Veronica Lake or Brigitte Bardot.  



So, I ordered hair extensions to play with.  I chose to order from Glam Time because they offered high quality human hair at a reasonable cost, plus they had free international shipping.  My package arrived about 10 days after I placed my order.   I had intentionally ordered them a color that appeared lighter than my current hair color because I was afraid I would not be able to match my hair exactly and I planned to dye them to my color.  I ordered the Chestnut Brown #6 color but was a little surprised by just how light they actually were.  But no biggie, hopefully the dye would match up.  




I started out by dying the extensions with my usual color of choice.



I placed the extensions onto a sheet of aluminum foil to protect my counter tops and used my normal process of coloring my own hair.  After each piece was thoroughly saturated with color, I folded them up and let them sit the allotted processing time.




I then rinsed them and gently squeezed the water out, placing them on a towel to air dry for a few hours.



After I let them dry for a while, I then pin curled them and set them aside to dry overnight.



It actually took them about 48 hours to dry on their own.  WOW!  I was not expecting that!  Before I show you what they look like on, here is a shot of my normal, unstyled hair.  It has just been blown dry.  (Please forgive the tired face.) 



And here I am with the hair extensions clipped in.  I purchased the 120 gram set and I am very pleased with the amount of hair that I got.  In fact, in the pictures that follow, I am not even wearing all of the hair pieces.







In this last photo, I only have the two 6" wide extensions in and I think it looks very natural.


I think I will keep them pin curled and stored wrapped in a scarf so that I won't have to wash them very often, but I can't wait to actually get to style them and wear them out!  What do you guys think?


1 comment:

  1. Human hair extensions often carry the term “Remy hair”. This term has taken many different meanings. Indian Remy Hair extensions are the most popular type of virgin remy hair weave. It is spelled Remy (most popular) or Remi.
    1st thought:
    Virgin Indian hair uses the term “Remy” to refer to hair that has been prepared with all cuticles intact and aligned, pointing downward. This is preferred to prevent tangles and allow Virgin Remy hair wearers the flexibility of being able to treat the hair exactly as they would their own. Indian hair without a cuticle cannot be heated, colored, relaxed, etc…
    Virgin Indian remy hair, such as that which Wondepot Extensions sells, is revered as the pinnacle of human hair extensions. The industry standard for hair extensions, which you will find in most hair stores, is to boil off the cuticle, soak the hair in acid, then bleach it, color it, and dip it in silicone. The hair is boiled and dipped in acid to disinfect it. This makes it easier for factories to mass produce hair without having to take time to wash each bundle by hand, as Wondepot does. The hair is then bleached to the lightest possible shade and then color is redeposited. Finally, the hair is dipped in silicone to disguise the immense damage that has been done to each strand. The silicone gives the hair a silky finished appearance that wears down quickly, especially if introduced to shampoo or water! Virgin Indian Remy hair treatment is far more gentle than the process described above.
    Virgin Remy human hair is hand washed to disinfect it. Then it is sorted through to remove short, inverted and gray strands. The Virgin Indian quality is maintained by hand preparing the hair in every step.
    2nd thought:
    Some believe that “Remi” in Indian Remi hair is short for the word “remit” which refers to the process in which Indian women and men “remit” their hair to the gods as a thanks or sacrifice.
    3rd thought:
    Others believe that the term Virgin “Remy” hair or Indian Remy hair is hair that has been gently processed, unlike Virgin hair which is completely unprocessed. The benefit hair that has been gently processes is that the wearer receives a more finished product, as opposed to raw virgin hair. The benefit for true virgin hair is that it is completely unprocessed and therefore the most healthy and versatile.
    4th thought:
    It is also thought that sellers call hair “Remi” instead of “remy” only when it is not true remy (live aligned cuticle) hair.
    Wondepot offers truly virgin Indian Remy hair. Our Virgin Remy human hair is completely unprocessed, and has been carefully prepared by hand to create a finished product that will last a long time if properly cared for.Oder cheap hair extensions with high quality now,many discounts.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, and opinions. Please leave me a comment. I read every single one, even on older posts.

**Due to the amount of spam comments that I have been getting lately, I will no longer be accepting comments from Anonymous users. Sorry for the inconvenience but hopefully you understand.**