Go To Home Page About Retro Gran Topics I Write About Other Places You Can Find Me Image Map

Monday, February 18, 2013

Lauren Bacall Hair It's Not

Another trial of trying to master pincurls, I set out to attempt Lauren Bacall's famous waved hair.  My hair is several inches shorter than her longer locks so I was trying to achieve more of her shorter styles, such as these.

Lauren Bacall

Lauren Bacall

Lauren Bacall

I did my wet hair up in pincurls with the top rolled back in two rows of four stand up curls, while the rest are all rolled forward.  I used this setting pattern that I found on Victory Vintage as a guide.

Lauren Bacall setting pattern

Here is what I got once I took them down and brushed the heck out of them.

Retro Gran's attempt at Lauren Bacall hair

Retro Gran's attempt at Lauren Bacall hair

Retro Gran's attempt at Lauren Bacall hair


I know it isn't perfect, but it is a start.  I'm thinking that part of the difference may be in the fact that I have some layering to my hair while Lauren appears not to have any, or if she does, it's a few long layers.  Plus, on the light side of my part, I chose to brush the curl down below my ear, where she had waves of curl above.

On day two, I had softer waves and less curl.

Retro Gran's attempt at Lauren Bacall hair

Retro Gran's attempt at Lauren Bacall hair


It is definitely something that I will try again with a few setting adjustments, but I wanted to share this attempt with you.  Any of you dolls have suggestions on what to do differently?




14 comments:

  1. I think you did a really good job, looks just like hers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trina! I am going to try it again with a few adjustments and see what I get.

      Delete
  2. It might not be a dead ringer for Ms. Bacall's hair, but it's an absolutely beautiful style all the same and one that looks so timelessly lovely on you.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look very classy. I have a hard time getting nice waves in my hair too. Actually, sometimes just letting my hair air dry gives me finger waves around the crown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got some really nice waves once but I wasn't really trying for them and have no idea how it happened. Lol I later thought that I should keep a journal on setting patterns and results.

      Delete
  4. I personally think you did a fantastic job! Pin curl sets are hard business even after years of practice.

    HRF

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair looks great. I'm a big Bacall fan, ever since I saw "To Have And Have Not" for the first time. Lauren had real elan. "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow."

    ReplyDelete
  6. great style....you did a wonderful remake and thanks for your tips.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, and opinions. Please leave me a comment. I read every single one, even on older posts.

**Due to the amount of spam comments that I have been getting lately, I will no longer be accepting comments from Anonymous users. Sorry for the inconvenience but hopefully you understand.**